View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are obviously strong ties between Canada and the US in the border regions but on a family and friend level they seem a lot weaker than along the Mexican border to me. I am pretty sure this was not always the case but I would surmise today that a pretty clear majority of people in Windsor or Fort Erie or Coutts don't really have family or friends they are close to on the other side of the border. (Though decent sized minorities probably do.) The situation on the US-Mexico border is far different due to continued massive and recent population movements there.

When it comes to the border, Canada and the US are like twins separated at birth. Mexico and the US when it comes to border areas are more like siblings still living in the same house but on different floors.
there is also the third element of a shared separate culture along the entire usa-mex border, even through the rural areas, that doesn't exist along the usa-can border. its like a usa-mex buffer. selena was the queen bee of this world and movies like the border w/jack nicholson and let there be blood among other things reflect it. there was even a very popular cold war era novel in the 1980's called warday where after the worst la frontera became its own country.