View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 1:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
The Moncton airport has successful beyond what anyone could have expected, mostly as a result of some federal funding.
I don't know what "federal funding" you're talking about. It's true we did get some money for a new apron for the Francophonie Summit, but that's pretty much it. In fact the GMIA was penalized at the outset for being the first airport that Transport Canada decided to privatize. The local airport authority got a raw deal on that one, with all subsequent privatizations being much more equitable in terms of start-up funding......

The Moncton Airport has always been successful, but also by being the first airport in the region out of the gate with privatization, the local airport authority was able to be proactive with the carriers in terms of securing new routes or expanding services on existing routes. This gave us a head start.

Having said this, I don't disagree with you about there being too many airports in southern NB. What would you do though, amalgamate services at one of the existing airports or build an entirely new one in Sussex. The Sussex option would likely cost at least a half billion dollars.

I can't see any government playing favourites with an existing airport now, or building a brand new airport......it would be political suicide!