View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 1:36 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by new age View Post
I know what to do. London should build a raised freeway threw the core, so the homeless can live under it and the rich can drive on it.
I can't tell if this is a troll post or not, but anyways, that was originally the plan. Anyone have a map of the Thames Valley Parkway? In the meantime, it should also be noted that not everyone with a car is automatically "rich". If I was rich, I'd sure as hell be driving a Benz or a Lexus, not a friggin' Saturn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new age View Post
No I totally agree that the homeless and trouble causers at Dundas and Richmond are just smoke and noise. I would worry a lot more about the gangsters or want to be gangsters rolling around in nice cars and good cloths with guns.
I don't know what London you're living in, but here all the "gangsters in nice cars" are either walking everywhere or driving around in a pimped-out Mazda 323.

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
Sorry for singling you out but I find the comment that no public housing should be allowed within a mile of Dundas to be fairly extreme.
Again, I did not endorse this solution, I merely said it would work as part of a strategy to make Dundas more upscale. As I previously said, it worked very well for the City of Toronto, not so well for the inner ring of suburbs.

Quote:
Many abrasive, criminal and generally undesirable people live in public housing but most public housing residents are not like that.
Which is unfortunate, because those few undesirables are what cause people to avoid areas with a high concentration of public housing. Perhaps a better solution, rather than remove the said housing, is to simply permanently remove people who are convicted of serious criminal offences. Then, with some luck, public housing complexes would be just like any other working class neighbourhood: safe and secure, nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Am I the only one here who doesn't think the concentration of homeless and low-income people on Dundas is a problem?
It's not a problem into and on to itself, but it is indicative of a wider economic problem. Ask yourself: What is wrong with our downtown if it is unable to attract much else other than the homeless or low-income people? Furthermore, what is wrong with our city as a whole if so many people are unable to pull themselves out of poverty?