View Single Post
Old Posted May 27, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Where I'm struggling most is photographing at distances during the day and, especially, during the fog. I find the photos are often far too grainy.

I've figured out that the main key seems to be leaving the shutter open as long as I possibly can and I have to process lightly, and ensure I reduce noise if I'm adding any HDR effects. Beyond that, I've no ideas what to do.
I'm not seeing a lot of grain or noise. If you are experiencing noisy photos make sure your ISO is as low as possible. For daytime shots this shouldn't be a problem as long as there is enough light. If you are shooting in low light, you'll need a tripod to steady the camera as the shutter speed will be too great to hand hold the camera at a low ISO. I'm not sure I answered your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Also, I often end up with a sky that's far too white. But I just can't figure out what to do short of taking separate photos for the land and sky and blending them as a panorama, such as this one:

Any advice, tips - GREATLY appreciated.
You are describing an issue that everyone faces when shooting a high contrast scene. If the sky is bright and the buildings are dark there isn't much you can do without sacrificing quality in one area while improving another. You can take two separate photos and merge them like you mentioned. Or you can set the exposure to get the sky right and try and bring out the shadows in buildings. Keep the ISO low so the noise in the shadows will be reduced.

The blended image you posted still looks like the shadows are underexposed and the blending between the sky and buildings is unnatural. Do you have photoshop? You can select the sky easily along the roof line and then create a mask that allows the blue sky to show through. Right now it looks like there is a gradient applied to the mask which is why there is an odd transition from white to blue near the roofs.