View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:54 PM

Ridiculous BC liquor laws jeopardize Rio Theatre

I know that we've had discussions on this site before about the ridiculous (and often contradictory) BC liquor laws and how they serve to undermine the quality of life.

Ridiculous things like promoting the binge-drinking atmosphere of Granville Street on the one hand while reacting Gestapo-like at times to the sight of two adults sharing a bottle of wine while having a picnic at a local park. I think it's time for the province and the city to "grow up" regarding its attitudes and regulatory stance regarding alcohol.

Anyway, a potential side-effect of the zany liquor laws in this province is the pending closure of an east Vancouver entertainment icon--the Rio Theatre.

From the CBC:
Quote:
A Vancouver city councillor is going to bat for an iconic local theatre in danger of closing down its screens because of its new liquor license.

After 74 years in business, East Vancouver's Rio Theatre recently got a liquor license to diversify its business for live events, but the province's liquor laws prevent venues from showing movies and serving alcohol.

Coun. Heather Deal says she plans to introduce a motion to council this week calling on the province to update its liquor laws.

Deal says she's spoken with the B.C. government before about liquor regulation but now the issue is urgent because it's hurting an important arts venue in the city.

"I think this one is not only very, very sort of misguided but quite damaging to some of the small culture-oriented businesses that we have in the city like the Rio," she said.

"So I've been in touch with [the province]. They said that they don't agree with me but they're willing to have a conversation. It's time to dial up the pressure a little bit."

Deal says other jurisdictions manage to show movies at venues with liquor licenses by limiting when and where alcohol can be served.

Rio owner Corrine Lea says she thought the theatre could still show movies as long as liquor wasn't served during films, but she was wrong.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...o-closing.html