View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:56 AM

As with most posters, I fully support further residential densification within the City of Vancouver as well as all other regional downtown centres. I also fully support all of the Skytrain streetcar/lrt/rapid bus initiatives.

Currently ~14% of Metro Vancouver residents utilize transit and I hope that grows to 20%+.

I also support a balanced regional transportation mode approach and frankly Metro Vancouver has a terrible regional highway network in that regard, resulting in alot of road rage these days. Too much frustration with the relatively poor transit/highway infrastructure.

After a business luncheon in downtown Vancouver today, I travelled over to the City of Vancouver Archives near the Planetarium to gather the pics in my previous post and spent around 1/2 hour there.

Very interesting stuff indeed in terms of the documents that I came across. The same transit/highway issues being discussed herein were also discussed/written by Vancouver citizens ~39 years ago!

The then head of the Chinese Strathcona Resident's Association(?) in 1971 requested the City of Vancouver to build the Grandview Cut freeway to remove regional thru traffic from Union/Prior Streets in order to keep them livable.

'Express Bus' service to the 'burbs was also to be part of the Grandview Cut freeway until rapid transit was constructed eastward. Others wrote the City to stop the Granville Cut freeway and have rapid transit built forthwith along Hastings Street eastward. Déjà vu!

Over the past 40 years, the more things change.... the more things seemingly remain the same.