View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yea, all the trees they had looked like they had lost their leaves. This was the fullest one they had...I mean look at the one to the right of it.

Also...it has a stake already with it...that should be fine right? Or does it need the two stakes on the sides?
Young trees need to strengthen themselves as they grow. When you see trees staked like crazy so they can't even move they're much weaker and likely more prone to snapping or being felled later in life. Moving a bit in the wind is like exercise to them, without it they're basically atrophied for life. If it were me, I'd use two stakes, one on either side, but have it relatively loosely connected to the stakes. The middle one is unnecessary. When they deliver and plant it they should put in a stake on either side. After a couple of weeks take the center stake out and loosen the side connections to the stakes (just a bit so the tree can move and bend a little, but if there are high winds the stakes will hold it in either direction. Also, the best thing for preventing trees from falling is proper watering. deep watering out to basically the diameter of the tree canopy will get the roots to move outward and down, which will give the tree a better foundation.