View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:31 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I see Calgary as being similar to Austin - more conservative than most American cities, but still liberal enough, a beacon of hope in otherwise right-wing state.

I've not spent enough time in Calgary to know... except to say I was at a straight pub downtown, gaying it up, with no problem.

But... every culture has its quirks. Newfoundlanders, for example, have more sex and more sexual partners than any other province in Canada. But try selling a sex toy in public here... people will run away blushing. Heterosexual women are free to be relatively promiscuous with few if any social consequences - not to the same extent as heterosexual men, but damn close. The... idea that men's sexual value grows with use, while women's diminishes, is the key thing that simply doesn't really exist here. Yet it's taboo to talk about abortions. Tattooos are absolutely everywhere, even middle-aged housewives have neck tattoos... but get any sort of face piercing and you stand out as strongly today as you would have 20 years ago.

Cultures are so weird.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 30, 2014 at 4:42 AM.