View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The other simple fact which I already mentioned is that Halifax is already the sprawliest city in Canada and most of that sprawl happens to be occurring far North of the city where it is easy to get around and where there are minimal planning restrictions. This is much worse than having new sprawl in Southern Dartmouth, particularly since it's shifting the centre of the whole region away from the urban core.
The sprawl is starting to shift even Bedford's "core". For 250 years the section of Bedford Highway between Mill Cove and Bedford Place Mall has been the heart of Bedford. Now thanks to insane population boost near Glendale in Sackville (among other areas) we're losing businesses going even further north. A lot of Bedford citizens are sick of this and want their town back. The bridge like someone123 said will hopefully shift the development closer to Halifax and as long as we have our ferry by then we will welcome the new bridge. I work in Sunnyside Mall and i've seen with my own eyes probably half or more of our profesionals leave the mall and two stores have closed since the December rush*. Lawton's is currently building a store on the waterfront but if its still in the heart i welcome it. Canadian Tire is building at the Bedford Commons (this "power centre" is up at Glendale at the very end of Bedford) increasing the likliehood they'll leave Sunnyside. We aren't the only mall feeling the shift northwards though Downsview and Bedford Place are in the same boat as us. The closer sprawl is to downtown the better so Southern Dartmouth is better then Sackville/Fall River/Waverly.

*Update: Sunnyside has lost two stores and a third is one the way out.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Apr 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM.