View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:57 AM
Fourth and Main

I actually live over 300 miles (over 485 kilometers) from Winston-Salem. The current tech boom is the biggest boom I've seen in Winston-Salem since I first started following Winston-Salem development around 1994 or 1995. It is a fun time to follow development in this city.

After a cold morning, yesterday, with a low temperature at 7°F (-14°C), it's good to relax and enjoy a BIG development update at SSP today. And I do have a big update! I also have a surprise, near the end of this post.

Projects & Construction:

AFAS Center for the Arts:

Credit: Susan Smith

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:
It appears as if Foothills Brewing will lease the back half of the Bookmarks Bookstore Building for a 5,400 square foot event space. Foothills Brewing will operate the cafe in the bookstore, offering beer, wine, coffee, and food for both the bookstore and the brewery's event space.

West Salem Modern:
An update on this "modern architecture" neighborhood infill project. These houses have won awards and appeared in national architecture publications.

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

New Building at Union Cross:
Johnson Development Associates, from South Carolina, has proposed a Class A spec building. No word on the size of the building.

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Last week, a concrete pumper truck was at the site and an electrical vault was placed into the ground. It also appears as if they are removing the roof where the 5th floor addition will be constructed.

Credit: _nishamary

Credit: jonathanmcginnis

A look at the back side:

Credit: dsgnr2obx

Credit: Unknown

Aviation College:
They are currently seeking county and state approval. Design will start when they have state approval. Construction could start in First Quarter 2018. It will be completed in Summer or Fall of 2019. This is an adaptive reuse project.

Science & Engineering Center:
This building will open to students today! 275 students are enrolled in 18 classes, a mix of science courses, labs, and liberal arts courses such as historic preservation, community engagement, and a first-year seminar exploring the analytical methods of Sherlock Holmes. In the fall, the number of students will increase to 350 students, with classes in Engineering and Biomaterials Science. The number of university students and faculty in this building will increase each year though 2021. The entire two building downtown complex could have nearly 1,000 students. Yes, nearly 1,000 university students in just one downtown block! The impact on downtown from this should be amazing to watch and professors will encourage students to explore the restaurants, parks, and entertainment available in downtown.

Our first look at the interior:

Credit: Mur Muchane

Credit: Mur Muchane

It's the white building on the far right:

Credit: skylerbrownphoto

Snowblower clearing the sidewalks and walkways, as the building prepares to open:

Was the waterwall (water feature) on?

View from the railroad tracks:

Credit: amholmes

Now, every building in this IQ District photograph is renovated (WOW!):

Credit: winstonwatchman

Cognistx Expansion - New Tech Jobs:
The tech boom continues! Cognistx is preparing to open a Customer Experience Center in downtown's IQ District and they plan to hire 60 people. The company works with cognitive algorithms.

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:
I see construction on the top floor and rooftop amenity level. Their website still says completion is set for this month. If you're interested, you can call (336) 575-7262.

Credit: haleighhatfield

This is from Early-December, but it is new to this thread and shows the entire north facade:

Credit: leonardrydenburrrealestate

Quarry Park:

A view from the ground-level sidewalk:

Credit: b.reidphotography

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

You can't really see the site for the 8-9 inches (225 millimeters) of snow:

Credit: aleccorrea

A rainy night view: (You can see the recent steel delievery)

Credit: steve_d1sports

Dentist Training Center & Offices: Built!
The new headquarters for this multi-state dentist office is now open and they did build an actual dental office in their headquarters. Since I don't have any photographs to make a big photography post, I'll just post it in the weekly update. If I find photographs, I may make a big photography post on it?

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue:
Wise Man is now a fully licensed and operational brewery. They are making beer for opening night on January 28! Make plans to visit the new brewery.

Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Credit: Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Credit: Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Easter Creek Partners Headquarters:
A medical tenant has leased a majority of the available space in this building. Yes, it is "almost" fully leased. It will be completed in April as the headquarters of the developer. Easter Creek Partners is an LGBT-owned development business that is relocating its headquarters to Winston-Salem. This is their first development project in their new headquarters city.

http://i.imgur.com/o7tuevL.jpg
Credit: Bruce Chapman | JournalNow

Lofts Hillside:
The Lofts by BSC is now known as the Lofts Hillside. This 88 apartment development will be completed around December 2017. BSC also has plans for 86 additional apartments, in another phase, for 2018 or 2019.

A big cut into a very steep mountain side for these apartments in the city:
http://i.imgur.com/EXkMfiD.jpg
Credit: Bruce Chapman | JournalNow

Transportation Infrastructure:

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
We finally have details for this project! Planning is now underway for a new $6 million taxilane and ramp to the new aviation college (see Aviation College update in this post). The taxilane and ramp will also lead to undeveloped land, owned by the airport, that will be marketed to aviation firms interested in building at the airport. The developable land, opened-up by this project, is located on the north end of the airport. Both this project and the aviation college will be completed in 2019. The state DOT will pay 90% of the cost for this project. The airport will pay $600,000. The taxilane & ramp are in the design phase.

Off-Subject:

The Tunnels Under Winston-Salem:
Always a favorite subject on the forums, among Winston-Salem residents. The tunnels are very interesting and I myself have searched for openings to the tunnels. I've heard some of the tunnels date back to the 1830s and I've heard about beautiful brick vaulted ceilings in the older parts of the tunnel system. If you decide to explore the tunnels, be aware they are extremely dark and parts of the tunnels are filled with DEEP water. It is so dark, you will think your flashlight doesn't work.

Credit: yadkinriverkeepernc

Credit: christinerucker

Credit: christinerucker

Foothills Brewing - New Beers:
Foothills Brewing will release new beers as part of a new "Craft Happiness IPA Project" that highlights local, national, and global causes. Each month, the brewery will focus on a human, environmental or animal awareness campaign. Foothills said "There are people, animals and places that, for one reason or another, often due to circumstances beyond their control, are not happy. There are causes – locally, nationally, globally – that are in constant need of increased compassion and awareness. Even the most basic of needs — access to food, clean water, and shelter — are as alarmingly prevalent as they are uncomfortably close to home for all of us. So this series will endeavor to bring awareness, attention and generosity to some of those needs." The first brew, to be released next month, will be called Domicile, intended to shine the light on homelessness and the need for affordable housing.

Random Photographs:

This was likely a beautiful space, at one time:

Credit: zfiacco

Credit: itsmayne1

This old renovated power plant, on the right, is so awesome: (Did you know it has a basketball court?)

Credit: moomoocowmoomoo

Credit: kdmgphoto

Winston-Salem - Where the 1700s meet today:

Credit: annathegreat

In Winston-Salem, downtown stays open:

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM.