Thread: Economy Thread
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 1:45 AM

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../19399816.html

The Free Press is still spreading the blatant lie about the EMD workers taking a 50% pay cut. I have just sent them an email (again) with a link to EMD's final offer, and then telling them that it is very unfortunate how much they have sensationalized the EMD issue without providing balanced coverage, and instead manipulating facts (such as EMD's final offer) to suit the CAW's position.

Between the Free Press and AM980, I am starting to think more and more that London's media landscape is dominated by young, recent graduates who have no idea what they're talking about when they write a story. I know from interning at The Gazette at Western that it is very difficult to stop your personal biases from showing through in a news article, but it can be done - it takes journalistic skill, which is an art. You just have to know the right questions to ask, but I don't think today's commercial journalists have a clue how to do that - instead it's interview the head of the CAW, do a few man-on-the-street interviews, and you've got a story. There's no in-depth research anymore.

Walter Blackburn would be horrified at what his two London media properties have become.