View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I see people everyday freaking day at Bishop and Pembina do that. People are trying to merge from Pembina onto eastbound Bishop. People will go out of their way to not let you in. They'll sit there looking like idiots because traffic is stopped and you're trying to get in. That one car won't make a difference cause traffic is backed up anyways at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
I'm of two minds on that. I've had people not let me in, but I've also had cases where people just refuse to merge/change lanes for whatever reason. We're going the same speed - you can navigate a 30 foot difference between us doing 70 km/hr without causing a fiery wreck. It's okay, trust me.

I find that a big logistical problem with Winnipeg drivers is the lack of urgency, and I do blame that on the lights. Why accelerate up to speed when you'll just have to stop at the next intersection? I never thought I'd be a speed demon by actively accelerating my shitty little 130 hp four-banger.

Tell me about it. This was head scratching to no end.

I agree that the lack of proper infrastructure contributes to this in addition to poorly timed lights and also the massive amounts of lights on speedways.

Although aggressive drivers still exist in Calgary, drivers here overall
are great with letting you in and lane changes. It's the "norm" to the extent even on deerfoot if you need to switch into a faster lane and you want to get in, cars speeding up will slow down to let you in. Infrastructure may play a role in this as mentioned earlier.

Regarding the Kenaston/Perimeter intersection, it's simply unfortunate how much that development is sort of a manifestation of the anti-free flow set up of the perimeter in general.

It has such potential to be an amazing roadway for the region, but safety issues and various logistic issues truly hamper that.