View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 8, 2012, 7:25 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtuse_edge View Post
Good posts all around here.

I'm one of the "former" group. Originally from SF, now in Sac for some years. I'm always in Midtown/Downtown, it's nice to have seen the urban scene grow and become more sophisticated in recent years. I really hope the trend keeps growing as I think Sac has a real chance of becoming the next "hip" city akin to the ranks of Portland or Austin for young people to go to. We have the location, we have the reasonable cost of living, we have the weather, and we have a burgeoning urban scene going on, it just needs to be built upon.

I do feel in the Sac region a bit of a divide between the suburbanites and the city. In SF, people from all the surrounding cities and towns go into the city to party, to have fun. But something I've noticed is that many of the suburb dwellers in Sac are quite provincial and often have no clue about what's going down in Midtown, or they are disparaging when they talk about Downtown. It's quite frustrating because there really is a lot of good stuff happening and developing in Sacramento's central city, but it's not appreciated enough I feel.

I call this place home now. I spend a lot of money in local restaurants/bars and I definitely want to see Sacramento develop a higher profile and be recognized for it.
Good Post! I agree.

What are your opinions regarding the downtown Arena? The best news so far is that the entertainment production company AEG wants to invest $50 million.

Regarding suburban dwellers: I don't think Sac's suburban dwellers are much different than East Bay or South Bay suburbanites.

I have relatives and friends from the east and south bay who dislike SF or anything "urban". However, they will go to Major league sporting events and broadway style theater in SF. They love AT&T ballpark and the area around it. An occasional trip to Union sq for shopping is tolerable, but other than that they do not like SF.

The focus for midtown/downtown (as it is for SF) is about the people who live there and people who like an "urban" environment. If midtown wants to be more urban it needs to change it's zoining to allow for more density and variety. They need to rid themselves of restrictive ordinances regarding noise and parking.