View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 5:16 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipulus View Post
Great work guys. I was wondering, particularly to SLO and Plinko, how much the mansions/estates you guys posted cost to build, and what the architect's cut is. Going to be a sophomore at ND in a couple weeks, just trying to learn what I can.
Very nice, ND has a great design program.

The house I posted is approximately 10,000 sq ft and cost close to $3million including land. Design fees vary greatly depending on where you are and what firm you work for or if you are the principle designer. High end architects can get a percentage of construction 10-12% is what Ive heard most, but my guess is most do not. Since I was working for a design/build firm on this project the fees were calculated hourly and by the square foot for CD's. The owner spent about $50k on design and cd's. You can see much more or less depending on a variety of factors. Ive got a good friend in Dallas who went to the same arch school as me and he is a very good designer, but doesnt do many houses. He does mainly commercial and mixed use projects, but he agreed to do a house for a major developer client of his. I helped him on construction docs, he charged 12% of construction cost on a $3million dollar house in Dallas. I thought the fees were huge, but in the context of a firm it was just another job/revenue stream. I told him he needed to dump the firm and just do two houses a year at those fees! Numbers like that are not typical and come when you are at the top of your game....until then you must suffer like everyone else..

@true viking - I love how your building turned out, looks great from all angles.

@austinlee - check out the new energy star 3 guidelines, they used to be simple, but not anymore with LEED and other green building programs the goal for energy efficiency and building homes that are net zero energy users or actually producers is the future. Solar technology is changing quickly, personal wind mills, foam insulation, geo thermal are all on the rise. You can get small site geo thermal systems, drilled in small areas. Not sure about Plinkos project, but solar panels can be mounted anywhere on site.