View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I've read this article before, but wow, such contempt for the building by the owner. The value of the building is in the footprint... geeze. It's attitudes like this that hold back the redevelopment of downtown and create more surface parking lots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Absolutely.
Sorry guys, but no.

Until you've operated a building like that, or run a business from a building like that, you can't accuse someone of contempt for the building's value. You think it's that attitude that holds back re-development? It's cost of operating, size constraints, loading constraints (which are HUGE), and layout constraints which are preventing income generation or residential conversion (and of course some owners' unwillingness to sell). Like, he said he had to turn down work because they could not load/supply from that location. He said it RIGHT THERE. His contempt clearly comes from a lifetime of stress over this. You can bet that literally for decades, they've had this building, struggled to make best use with it, and clearly tried to make something work, only to be stonewalled by the structure's limitations or heritage committees.

I'm not being insensitive to a building's heritage, but whether you're a landlord of the building, a property manager of it, or a tenant operating within, it's always a business first. Businesses support the livelihoods of human beings. Some of you are being insensitive to that. Building history IS important, but this forum forgets... buildings have a JOB to do.

We can wax lyrical about the historical and romantic aspects of heritage, but ask any heritage landlord or property manager... it's NOT easy. It's a pain in the ass, you have many more limitations to making effective changes, and thousands of people watching you like a hawk, ready to crucify you. It is absolutely a labour of love, and if you eat away at profitability, love can flounder.

I will reiterate, however, that I'm a soft advocate for heritage. We have to be able to value what we have. But we have to be honest with ourselves also... if it's not working, it's not working. Sometimes keeping a building like this as-is to appease a city or committee could be akin to a bad marriage staying together for the children. Except nobody is willing to buy. We're not Toronto or Vancouver, where elaborate improvements don't dent a big financial upside.