View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I have two big questions relative to this news.

1) Can SEPTA build an additional track or tracks in order to avoid conflict with freight line here?

2) I realize this isn't a SEPTA driven proposal, but since the idea is to have a new station in KOP near the river, couldn't we just scrap the KOP light rail spur off of the Norristown High Speed Line and run 30 minute headways on the regional rail line all day long with a shuttle bus or light rail from the regional rail station to KOP mall and business parks?
1.) By and large yes. The right of way was once 4 tracks. But currently at most there are 3 tracks with primarily only 2 tracks (aside from the yard in ~Bridgeport). At the Phoenixville Riverworks complex the line goes down to 1 track because of a tunnel just west. Building a dedicated Septa track west of here will be extremely costly.

Aerial of one of the proposed station locations in Phoenixville, notice the track spacing.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/41...2!4d-75.505117

2.) I've been a proponent of something like this, but there isn't a ton of "workable" land to build a good size park and ride station