View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 7:27 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
This continues to worry me as a general phenomenon. Mission Bay, Rincon Hill, and Mid-Market will all need to attract choice tenants (wine bars, trendy coffee stores, dining comparable to Valencia, artisan shops) to really attract the young urbanities away from the traditional neighborhoods. King Street in SOMA really missed the mark, and even the few restaurants (Amici's, Umami Burger, Tsunami Sushi, etc) can be found in other neighborhoods.

Even look at what is leased at Twitter's Market Square. Bon Marche, which will be great for the neighborhood, but then it's just drug stores and First Republic Bank. At least they provided a few very small spaces that will be able to host small coffee stores, bakeries, and boutiques, and I'm sure those will get snapped up later on.

Mid-Market, at least, will be close to Hayes, Mission, and SoMa, so there are options even if the retail is rough. Rincon Hill and Mission Bay worry me the most, because they are not really close to established retail corridors, and from what people have said, the retail footprints are wide and large...not accessible for the type of retail people want.
Market Sq is getting a Fitness SF, a 'food emporium' called the Market, and also a restaurant called the Cadillac Bar & Grill. Nema is getting a really modern indian restaurant by a top chef masters competitor. Alta is open across the street. I completely agree about Mission Bay and Rincon Hill, however, those neighborhoods may have high density but they allowed too many non-street level retail towers and buildings to be built.