View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 12:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I didn't mean it as an assembly of shareholders. Just as you get those urges when you think about your family, i get that way by both my family and the life i lead here amongst other Canadians. I genuinely like the people of this country, specifically the ones I've been exposed to and the sense of belonging and contribution I feel here. On any given day i can go anywhere and make new friends who can relate to me and who genuinely enjoy my company, life is never boring or meaningless, that's something that makes me very thankful.
While I am grateful for our standard of living, what you describe is still a very administrative view of patriotism and identity.

I tend to view this positive aspect of Canada as a western developed world thing as opposed to a uniquely Canadian thing. On this metric I probably could have as good or better a life in any of about a dozen western countries. That said I am lucky I know to be living in the Canadian division or branch of the western world.

As for the cultural stuff (widely defined) that makes me feel at "home", most of it to be frank is confined to a specific part of Canada and not widely shared or even known across the country. (Not even close to the way that non-African-Americans in the US know stuff like Motown, etc.)