View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks Keith! That's exactly what I wanted to know! It was the art deco facade that drew me in and I agree it would have been cool to incorporate it into a new structure.
The CHNS building had a wonderful facade and it was a shame to lose such a distinctive structure. I was last in the building in the mid to late-70s, during my radio daze, and it was pretty atmospheric inside. At night, with the building mostly deserted, there were a lot of dark, noirish corners. The ghosts of broadcasters past were very present in that place.

Even more fascinating was the old CHNS transmitter house at the top of Tremont Street in Rockingham. It was built in 1928, and designed to mirror the art deco appearance of the Tobin Street studios. When I was inside it in the 70s the original 1920s era transmitter was still present, though out of service, all massive vacuum tubes, heavy cables and glass insulators. It felt like I was on the set of Frankenstein (1931).

Source: UER

The website Urban Exploration Resource says the transmitter house was closed in the early 2000s and demolished in 2008.