View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogt3 View Post
Yes, the land areas are different. But SF's zoning has deliberately prevented moving towards the kind of density that would relieve prices. The point the article was making is that SF's zoning is poor and Houston's is not. And that point can be made regardless. Most of SF is zoned for the kind of 2 level, single family housing that should be reserved for distant suburbs. Here's what the article said:

"In its most extreme form, cities like San Francisco continue to enforce startlingly low densities in and around downtown despite burgeoning demand."

Do you have any data to support that? Because I would argue that a more desirable area does not have to suffer rapidly rising housing costs; instead, it can maintain affordability by allowing density to rise to meet demand. And SF has absolutely failed on this. Existing home owners fight hard to keep density low and prices high, and then sooth their own consciences by supporting affordable housing projects who help a few hundred people annually at the expense of everyone else but themselves. They screw hundreds of thousands of people into paying higher prices, and then throw a subsidized housing bone to a lucky few.

Aside from that I would argue most people's choice of where to live comes from personal ties and their job, not avoiding humidity and distance from the ocean.
You've never heard of the concept of a "sunshine tax"? People live in places for a whole host of reasons, and climate is a factor for some. You apparently don't realize San Francisco is already the second densest city in the country with 6,266 people per square mile. How much denser does it need to become before all its problems suddenly vanish and housing prices come down like magic as you think they would? I'm not arguing that the current model works, I'm arguing that the article someone posted that I read doesn't seem to offer much that would actually solve the problems just by replicating what Houston does.

Last edited by SDCAL; Apr 4, 2017 at 12:58 AM.