View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2014, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
The reason all these manufacturing companies are moving to Pflugerville and out of the Austin city limits is because Pflugerville has designated their industrial complex as triple freeport exempt. That means goods are exempt from city, county and school district property & inventory taxes if they are held for less than 175 days at your warehouse. This is a HUGE tax break for companies that manufacture goods (like tortilla chips) and ship them around the country. Pflugerville has developed a pretty impressive industrial complex with lots of large newly constructed buildings, anchored by Pecan 130 Business Park, so they are luring a lot of big manufacturing companies to their city. Here's the flyer for Pecan 130: http://marketing.cbre.com/Austin/lis...ess%20Park.pdf As far as I know, the only triple freeport areas within the Austin city limits are some smaller, older areas in the northeast and by ABIA.
Good point. I wish some of the local media outlets mentioned this fact when reporting the El Lago story. One of them even mentioned the possibility of Austin losing "thousands in tax dollars" as if that prime site would not be redeveloped. Almost seemed like an anti-Austin bent.

I'm trying to recall, does the train honk its horn when going through this area? If so these new residents might object to any expanded hours or frequency of commuter trains which would be a shame since ironically it is TOD.

Speaking of which Saltillo Plaza is one of the least used stations. Hopefully this will help a little in that regard as I could see commuting to north Austin from here.