View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 4:30 AM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart8588 View Post
Well, if all the engineers are so smart and ingenious, shouldn't the problem be fixed by now instead the bitching and moaning.

Also, who created and designed theses highways in the first place? Engineers, right?

I love science and I'm all for more engineers. However, we lawyers are ready with our pens and paper to sue the crap out of you guys when y'all screw up. J/k.

I hope y'all can read the jokes in my response.
It's funny how much truth underwrites your "joke" above. Many people actually blame engineers for the fact that we still have terrible traffic in Atlanta, decades after recognizing it was a problem. The funny thing is, engineers and planners largely agree on a lot of possible solutions; the transit vision for the metro area is incredible. Yet it lacks the political will to ever be implemented, because of a combination of leadership that doesn't care and citizens who refuse to change how their counties approach transportation.

I swear every day I hear someone say "Why can't they come up with something better?" Well, they have come up with something better. But as my first planning teacher always told us: planners do not make policy, they merely suggest to lawmakers what policy should be implemented; it's up to the politicians to make it happen.

If engineers ruled the world, this stuff would have been taken care of years ago. And a sound national energy policy? We would have had one before most of the world even knew what global warming was. But instead we live in a country where politics and being re-elected is more important than effective, creative problem solving.

Not that I'm biased at all....I've got a degree in Civil Engineering from Tech and I'm proud of it