View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
According to population projections posted by Pegger5, the population of the Winnipeg CMA in 2008 was approximately 714,800. By mid 2013, it is expected to pass the 750,000 mark. What is your take on this? Do you think it will exceed projections or fall short?

The reasons I think it will exceed projections, is Winnipeg's diversiied economy is weathering the economic storm better than any large Canadian city, the cost of living and housing pricing are among the lowest in any Canadian centre over 100,000 people. The vacancy rate is still very low, meaning that there will be a need to construct new homes. Finally, there are infrastructure improvements such as Centreport, the new Airport Terminal, Bus Station, expansion of the University of Winnipeg, and construction of the new Winnipeg Stadium.

Additionally there have been preliminary talks about building a smaller arena (5500-7000 seats) that would suit entertainment acts deemed to small for the MTS Centre, and possibly suited for a WHL team. I have never been more optimistic about my hometown. I think the teens (?) 2010-19 will be a boom period for the city and province.

PS...my prediction: 762,500
Those numbers were just estimates I took from another post. New StatsCan numbers put us as of 2008 at over 730K so my answer is 10K a year to become 780K ish...