View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:43 PM

So if the North End can not formally be classified as an area, it should be defined by perception. If that is the case what is the generalized perception of the area. After such a classification is made than the borders of the area can be defined based on that classification. So should the area be defined as
-A group of neighbourhoods all built in a relative time period
-Which of these neighbourhoods received an influx of immigrants, being jewish, polish, etc. etc. during a certain time period.
-Crime or poverty based, in which case the size would decrease dramatically, because despite popular belief, the entire North End is not run down and in need of repair.

My question is what is so regionally defining about St. John that would make it a part of a Neighbourhood other than the North End?

With Luxton there is the obvious fact that it lies on the East side of Main. But an argument could be made that the North End should cover all neighbourhoods right to the river. But then that poses a problem with Neighbourhoods such as N.P.D whose inhabitants (such as 1ajs) clearly point out it isn't part of the North End.

Now I may be way off here, as this thought just struck my mind, but it seems that the inhabitants of outer North End neighbourhoods and those surrounding it vehemently don't want to be labelled as part of the North End. It seems this is because they don't want to be classified as part of Winnipeg's worst neighbourhood.

But the truth is that for the majority of the population the North End is anything North of Higgins, West of the River, East of Mcphillips, and South of Inkster. That is the area most "stay clear of". So in with that mindset the North End is not a grouping of Neighbourhoods, but more of a mindset around which fear of crime and poverty is based.