View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 9:08 PM
somewhere in-between

A Couple of Updates

1. Latitude 42 is breaking ground on a second brewpub

Latitude 42, a popular brewpub that opened its doors a few years ago in Portage, is getting ready to construct a second location in Oshtemo Township, just west of US 131 and the city limits, on West Main. I drove past the property today, and they are already clearing the site. Progressive AE is the Architect.

Images Source: Mlive (Courtesy of Oshtemo Township)

2. Mall Plaza (157 S. Burdick) Renovation is Progressing

Image Source: The Author

The Vernon Group LLC is converting much of this 4-story structure from commercial use to apartments. The $3 million renovation will retain two retail shops on the ground floor facing the mall. Parking will be provided in the basement and a portion of the first floor, and commercial space will remain in a portion of the basement and the second floor. There will be 20 - 30 apartment units in the remaining space. There was talk about adding a fifth floor as well - I don't know if that is still happening., but I don't think so.

I peeked inside a few days ago to take a look at a portion of the ground floor which was once retail space and which is now a garage. You can still see the polished brick paver floor finish from when it was an interior corridor / arcade. Part of this area used to be an upholstery shop that has since moved into a new space across the street. Byce & Associates Inc. is partnered with In-Form Architecture LLC for the Architectural services.

3. Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Officially Closes Thursday, April 13, 2017

A lot of questions remain about why it closed, and who will take over this 10 screen Cineplex located downtown. It sounds like the owner of the property, Entertainment Properties Realty, terminated the lease agreement with Alamo, but has not publically stated why. 109 employees have been 'displaced.'

Image: Exterior view of the Cineplex
Image Source: MLive

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema closes in Kalamazoo; What's next?

4. “The Gateway” Phase 1

Earth-moving equipment is on-site, and it looks like this development will get underway soon. I don't have much hope for this being any better / different than the Corner @ Drake development, brought about by the same developer, AVB.

Location: Maple Hill Drive (North of West Main St, East of US 131)
Involved Parties: AVB, Inc. (Developer)
Summary: Proposed $100 million, 140-acre development, to potentially include up to 3 hotels, large retail, and several restaurants.

Image: Developer's Plan
Image Source:MLive

5. Zoetis to purchase Ireland-based Nexvet Biopharma for $85 Million

Not development, per se, but it is an indicator of how much this company is growing. Zoetis is the world's largest producer of animal pharmaceuticals, and its global R&D Department is headquartered in downtown Kalamazoo. It could lead to more jobs and development in the area, depending on how R&D resources are allocated after the merger. Zoetis is one of the largest employers In the county, providing jobs for about 1,000 people.

Image: Zoetis' Research & Development Labs at 333 Portage Road
Image Source: MLive

Zoetis has $85 million deal to buy Irish animal treatments firm