View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I"m not sure what the controversy is in this thread. The thread was never about World Cities or Livable Cities. It was strictly about Financial Centres. I think some of the posters misinterpreted what was originally posted. Many posters evidently feel that Vancouver doesn't belong on a list of World Cities, and fair enough, but nobody has given a meaningful counterpoint for why Vancouver should not be on a list of Financial Centres.
Hell, I'm no financier, but Vancouver has no MAJOR corporate head offices, no stock exchange, and doesn't exert the corporate clout that even Seattle does. The economy here is not diversified enough, there is no leading industry -unless you include forestry - and the city has airplanes with no Business Class seats flying into and out of it. (... a leisure market, mostly)

Yes, there is advertising, film, real estate, and anumber of other things, but nowhere near enough to put it in the same league as Madrid, Seatlle, Houston, Dallas, Munich ..... let alone Amsterdam, Paris, Stockholm, Frankfurt, Sydney, Toronto, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, HK, Singapore, ...... Paris, London, NY, Tokyo, hahahaha

I't's a fine city we have here, yes! But it is just isn't one of the world's TOP 25 FINANCIAL CENTRES, so let's not fool ourselves with delusions of grandeur.

Last edited by trofirhen; Aug 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM.