View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2017, 7:38 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I've never understood why it had to be so big, even if trains were to come into it from the beginning.

6x6 may have landed a tenant or 2 by now and not yet announced it but they seem to have some very specific criteria for whom they want to lease to. Maybe too specific. But it's their business--the rest of us just have to wait.

I am more concerned about this:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...-stations.html

If they can't find retail tenants for BART stations, I have to wonder how they expect to find them for a fancy bus station even if it is in the densest part of downtown (see Embaracdero Center where there has been a rotation of tenants for the 3 decades I've been watching).
Sounds more like BART tried to offload all the risk onto a master lessee and the deal fell apart. This type of deal is common for airports or train terminals, where it's easier to achieve economies of scale, but may not work so well for a sprawling rail system.

Without a doubt, though, there is a market for retailers in BART stations, even if it's just for coffee shops and newsstands. TransMart sounds either incompetent, greedy or both... or maybe BART itself is to blame for imposing unrealistic requirements. Either way, this shouldn't be seen as a cautionary tale for Transbay.