View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 6:49 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
A lot them were rejected by the US govt. for various reasons...
And nevertheless many, even those rejected by the US government, are still refugees. Others, if not refugees, still deserve consideration as immigrants.

Quote:
As some of you get older and wiser and start to pay a shitload of taxes you'll begin to understand that we can't help everyone.
I'm older. I pay a lot of taxes. That doesn't make my humanity or compassion go away. Nor do I consider them a burden on my taxes in the long run:

When I was in high school it was the immigrants - from Asia, Russia, the Philippines, etc. - who did their homework and got the highest marks. They got the work ethic from their parents. Later I've worked for immigrants who set up businesses here.

We all know people with grand plans to improve their lives. They're going to move to the west coast. Or overseas if the wrong party wins the election. They're going to save up, quit their jobs and go back to school. They're going to run for office and fix things.

But most never do. They're stuck in the inertia of their own lives, unable to drop or stop making new commitments even in the long term. Or unable to save, or to put in the extra effort. Or just too nervous about taking a leap into a new life.

Immigration acts as a filter. You get only the people who DO the things they said. Who got over their fears. Who put in the extra effort and made the big leap.

These are the kind of people you want as citizens. The kind who ALSO tend to start businesses and create jobs. It's just one reason why immigration is a good deal for the countries they head for.

Don't believe this?

Wall Street Journal: Immigrants Founded 51% of U.S. Billion-Dollar Startups

...including Google, SpaceX, Tesla, Uber, Cloudfare and more.

And it doesn't even count second generation immigrants. For example Apple, founded by the son of a Syrian refugee and the son of Polish immigrants.

Quote:
Why is it that those on the left always attack those on the right and never offer a logical and coherent rebuttal?
Why is it that the Breitbart crowd always thinks that those who disagree with them are on the left?