View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Smelling the roses is lovely. Canada is not all that wealthy really, I believe this country has slipped to 14th place in living standards. It also has real unemployment estimated to be around 17%, stagnant or even declining real wages, a housing crisis and a healthcare crisis. Economists are also warning that 30 to 40% of existing jobs may disappear by 2030. It is not an appropriate time to be packing the country with additional people. Immigration should be cut to near zero.
and yet there are more people employed in Canada today than ever before. jobs will disappear but also be created at a quickening pace. I think there is a pretty broad consensus among economists that Canada has an urgent need for more people. cutting off immigration would be economic suicide. you cite some real problems in Canada and I don't disagree that we have them. I just think they are policy-induced as well as resulting from the aging baby boom phenomenon. rather than reducing immigration we should probably be doubling it. and I consider myself a centrist too.