View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good point re Tsawwassen Mills, I forgot about that one.

I think a lot of perceptions of urban reserves are shaped by small town developments. Most small town developments, at least in this province, tend to be kind of janky and amateurish. I grew up cottaging in Winnipeg Beach and it seemed that every summer someone would open a terribly thought out business that would fail after a few months. Whatever got built was kind of lame and rarely rose above corrugated metal or other rural-type design. And so it is with rural reserves and their janky gas bars and smoke shops.

But it's a lot different with desirable urban land. The developers are going to come looking for the Treaty 1 FNs and they're going to have some good development ideas up their sleeves. There will be a lot of good proposals floated and they will end up bringing in a lot of money. And that's ultimately what will carry the day here.
I agree. this could mean a lot of investment and construction coming into the city. I look forward to seeing what emerges. I hope the city has enough good people left to negotiate a sensible framework agreement. they make me nervous these days. if any community should be under third party management it is probably the city of Winnipeg.