View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 3:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
For myself, a mom and pop bakery is a must in any small charming town.
Well then, you'd love Alma in New Brunswick.

Alma is a small fishing village along the upper reaches of the Bay of Fundy and is the service town for Fundy National Park (similar in that regard to Banff, Jasper or Revelstoke, except much smaller and much, MUCH, MUCH more humble).

Off season, the population of the village is only about 400, but it has many more restaurants, hotels and motels than you would normally expect given it's size, including a new craft brewery which is getting good reviews.

Anyway, Kelly's Bake Shop in Alma proclaims itself as the "home of the sticky bun", and in turn as being "world famous". I thought it was all hype, but I went there for the first time this summer and there was a line-up almost out the door for the sticky buns. It reminded me instantly of the "soup Nazi" from Seinfeld. You go to the counter, obediently place your order, and then, after paying, wait quietly amongst the assembled crowd for the order to be processed. I had the mental image that if you raised a ruckus, somebody would shout out "no sticky buns for you!!!"