View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Agreed. A lot of the time you have family living on both sides of the border of the US and Mexico so there's a lot of cohesion. Never got that impression with US/Canadian border cities..other than Niagara Falls and due to tourism. Windsor and Detroit seem worlds apart and Buffalo doesn't really have a urban neighbor on the Canadian side. There are really small towns that straddle the VT/PQ border that obviously have a connection.
I can't say that I see that Detroit and Windsor are "worlds apart" if you want to be very specific and only compare the city of Detroit to the municipality Windsor/Essex they have different demographics but if Windsor is looked at as a part of greater Detroit it fits in pretty well. But I think there is a stronger shared sense of identity in the region than on the southern border there are shared sports leagues shared economy and travel is easy an expanded drivers license will act like a passport and also if you operate a ship on the Great Lakes there isn't any law about sailing back and forth from US to Canada and vice-versa. While there is a shared Latin culture on both sides of the southern border there is a also a lot of divisiveness and disagreement on whether to tighten up the border even more. At the same time Detroit and Buffalo just had a bit of a contest for who is going to host the new major international crossing.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection