View Single Post
Old Posted May 21, 2005, 7:17 PM
OG from the L.B.C.

All the original streets running east west had tree based names (except for High St., which was named after a street in London) because Quakers believed it was vainity to name a street after a person. Eventually some of those streets had their name changed for various reasons. Mulberry had a stone arch at the end of it connecting to the delaware waterfront. It became know as Arch street. Cedar Street was the southern boundary of the city, and it's no surprise it became known as South Street. High Street being one of the two widest streets in the city (along with, duh, Broad street) developed an open air market down it's center. Hence it's change to Market Street.

Sassafrax (I assume simply an archaic spelling of Sassafras) became known for the horse races people held along its length. today it's known as Race Street.

I don't have a problem with renaming streets, it just bugs me when the new name doesn't roll off the tounge well. Columbus Blvd. will never stick simply because Delaware Ave. is easier to say, and being along the Delaware river is extremely fitting.

Same with MLK drive. It's too hard of a name to say easily. West River drive will probally win out in the end.