View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
What a coincidence. I recently visited that very shantytown. It is on the hills outside of Scarborough, err, Lima.
What's it like? I feel like people still have this (imo outdated) view of neighbourhoods that look a certain way necessarily being slums.

Ultimately, from a distance, it looks pretty similar to Italian hill towns, which can be poor but certainly aren't viewed as shantytowns by the tourists visiting them.

http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slide...town-pizzo.jpg

If I had to take a guess, I would say the Lima neighbourhood is probably poor, because that's how much of the poor South American neighbourhoods are built (un-planned/organic looking, on hillsides). I've been to Santa Ana Hill in Guayaquil, which has a similar layout. I think it's still lower income because the streets weren't built for cars which wealthy gentrifiers would probably want, but it didn't come of as a slum, it was still clean and well kept. Just a nice neighbourhood with modest colourful cheerful looking homes. The only obvious difference, looking at it and the Lima neighbourhood from a distance is Santa Ana Hill had more colourful homes.