View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I'm sure Deep River fits the bill on paper, but it is apparently quite boring. There's something about a completely planned community that just doesn't cut it. I mean, when your downtown looks like this: https://goo.gl/maps/5sh6v it's a bit hard to feel inspired. I knew a number of people who grew up there during my undergrad and they couldn't wait to get out. Of course having parents with degrees who worked in Chalk River, they were generally encouraged to get out!
I think the only thing in Deep that's actually nice looking is its water frontage.

I lived in Deep River for 13 years (age 4-17)

Admittedly, there's not a whole lot to do, but that's not uncommon in "small towns". Deep River does have a few nice things for the outdoorsy person, though. Or maybe it's so boring that everyone's forced to go outside. Can't tell. I never minded it. One thing I miss about Deep River is that you could walk to the beach, ski hill, etc.

Deep River probably has more recreational stuff per capita than anywhere else. They've got access to like 5 different beaches, an arena, curling, squash, just as many tennis courts as North Bay (which is 10x the size of Deep River), a good x-country ski network, some nice hiking nearby, fishing (Don't care for fishing myself but some do) sailing club, a ski hill (small, but not every town has one), bowling (And stuff like the afore mentioned Symphony Orchestra). You could walk a canoe from your house to the river and explore a bit.

Population: 4200. I liked growing up there enough, probably partly because our family travelled a bit. Not sure what it would be like to be stuck there.

Anyways as far as small towns go (again, for me, 0-10,000), Deep River is without question the most educated. Cultured? Not terribly, it does well for its population bracket (lots of people from out of Canada) but if you mean it as in artsy stuff, maybe not. People there make an effort with that sort of thing, but even though it punches above weight, there's only so much 4000 people can do.

EDIT: I 've never seen so much talk about Deep anywhere.... except Deep. Oh and Vienna. Lots of people from Deep River end up living in Vienna because of the IAEA.