View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketoronto View Post
I read it a while ago, however we are actually worse off today than people 30-40years ago.

30-40 years ago a family could get by with one income, and have a house, car, go on a vacation once in a while, etc.

Today a family is very lucky if they can get by with one income. We need to have two income households to cover the expenses that 30 years ago were covered by one income. And not all of it has to do with house size, etc.
I think most people here are going to need some stats in addition to "I read it a while ago".

There is no measure where we are worse off than 30-40 years ago, EXCEPT with regard to distribution of income (which I can almost guarantee is what you read and what Qubert was talking about - a smaller share of the pie does go to the lower classes than was the case 30-40 years ago). However, even with that, the lower classes are still much better off today than 30-40 years ago, it's just that their standard of living has not increased as much as those higher up the ladder. There are a few other things that might be lower today than 30-40 years ago in real terms (minimum wage, etc), but those measures affect very few people.

Last edited by Gordo; Jun 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM.