View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2013, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Office and Survivor are just bloody examples. I don't think of them as high culture any more than you do.

You didn't really address my point by giving examples of cultural sectors where cultural imports are not virtually dominant to the point of squeezing everything out.

I can attempt to do it for you: élite culture in Toronto and in English Canada in general is probably the most indigenous of any cultural level. You know, the CBC Radio listening, Globe and Mail reading types. There is a pretty high level of Canadian content in their consumption. At least by English Canadian standards. There is also slightly more British stuff in the diet there to counterbalance the US stuff even a bit more.

The middle and lower classes' cultural diets are extremely Americanized. With a few notable exceptions like hockey which is a near-obsession for them. Maybe Trailer Park Boys in some circles as well. And Canadian rock bands too - Canadian popular music has penetrated all cultural levels remarkably well. A true CanCon success story.
You didn't make that point. You made an observation about American culture being the ultimate "regurgitator". I defended it. In the same way I'd defend the Rolling Stones, if anyone said they were just a 2nd tier wannabe American bar band. Well they are but they're a damn good one (or were).