View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Migol24, sounds like you "left your heart in Austin" ( borrowing from an old Frank Sinatra tune).
Point on SXSW being not everything that starts bad ends bad. I think the possibility of your scenario is not very likely though I agree that once people visit, some may like it enough to want to move here, or invest here. I don't see a major shift in a cultural sense by this happening. We can probably agree that Austin is still basically the same Austin when its population went from 400K to 800K. A desired byproduct of an influx of wealthy new residents and businesses could be a taller, denser DT with new office, and residential highrises needed to house them. I don't think anyone here would object to that. Besides after a week in Austin, I imagine even hardcore rich and snobby F1 fans will leave with a little humility and barbacue sauce under their fingernails.
well we'll just wait and see. its hard to say, but at least sxsw had the beginning of something good and genuine just like whole foods and alamo drafthouse. and i think that's what the phrase is about... you start "wrong" meaning if you start with the wrong intentions or whatnot, then nothing will most likely ever go right. f1 track is something entirely different and very unlike the modest beginnings that anything austin ever produced. i watched Senna sometime ago in the theaters just to get familiarized with the f1 culture and the documentary portrays it as bad as any corrupt corporation. i highly recommend any f1 track fans to watch it. epstein, mccombs, etc... and now even tavo, all seem to be on that same wave length... very, very different from the originators of sxsw, or alamo drafthouse. but we'll see what happens.