View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 5:45 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I don't think Prometheus was arguing against bikes in those terms. He was debating the financial impacts that bike lanes (that seem to cater more to tourists and leisure riders) do to businesses in the heart of the downtown business core.

Attacking him based on his like or dislike of bikes (and even other things) is just ad hominem and poisoning the well and avoiding the issues he raised about business being down over 10% year over year on Hornby street. Some did debate him on the financial and moral issues to which he had well reasoned responses, but others tried to deflect the debate by directly attacking Prometheus and making it seem like a bike vs car debate.

If well reasoned arguments concerning the validity of the impact on business in the downtown core that bike lanes cause isn't allowed in a thread about bike lanes and only positive reinforcing comments are allowed, then perhaps it is THIS thread that should be renamed to reflect its apparent circle jerk status.
First of all, I did not mention any names and was not pointing at anyone directly. Right before my warning, there were quite a few other members involved in discussion. I'm standing firm on my warning earlier, and will remind once again that if members participate in any sort of discussion that could be considered as a X vs. Y argument not only in this forum topic, but any other topics on SSP, your membership will be suspended or revoked depending on the circumstance. I welcome insightful debates. Please, share your views and positions on a topic of discussion. But if you realize your point isn't getting across, then it's a sign to stop posting before it becomes an argument. As a member, you are required to respect the opinions of others. All members are entitled to their opinion, no matter how "incorrect" you think their position is.

And just to clarify in case this isn't clear enough, when moderators use the word "you," it generally refers to all members and not necessarily as you, the particular member.

Last edited by deasine; Jul 23, 2011 at 6:08 AM.