View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horko View Post
New to the forum...long time lurker. Yes, someone please start a new arena thread. I think the best option for a new Saskatoon arena is at the north end of downtown, on the Robin Hood mill site. If enough fuss is put up about tearing down the mill then tear down the one to the west of it and the former McDonalds Consolidated building, still lots of room. Other than the mill itself there is nothing of historical value in that area. City Hall already has a north downtown master plan and i think this could fit in nicely. Check out the master plan at CoS website and picture the arena on the mill site. Cheers.
Welcome to the forum!

I might be the only one that defends them, but I absolutely love those mills and would be sad to see them ever go. They're landmarks, and the city's sense of place would be lessened without them. They're not beautiful in any traditional sense, but their scale is mighty and powerful and they're gritty and they harken back to our economic past unlike any other physical identifiers left in town. I was crushed when the P&H mill on the west side went down a few years ago.

Keep the mills!