View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Does anyone believe that the DFW region could support a system like this one day. Not what the TRE is. But the system that is currently in Washington DC, Atlanta, and San Francisco. I think it can if they wanted it. I know the cost is a gigantic hurdle though. That MLK station looks like a heavy rail station everytime I see it.
I'm not sure I get what you're asking. What I typed that you highlighted, does describe the TRE line which is heavy rail.

Are you asking could the entire region support a rail system of some kind that spans the entire region? If that is your question, I would say that would be difficult. There are around 200 cities and towns that make up the DFW Metroplex and getting all of them on the same page is unlikely, but enough have and will to make a region wide system possible. In fact, it's already started, just with 3 different transit authorities. Most of the major cities are already already covered under either DART, The Fort Worth Transportation Authority or the Denton County Transportation Authority. Arlington is the only major standout as they continue to defy reason. Still under what exists already, there already is or will be rail connecting Dallas, Ft. Worth, Denton, Irving, Garland, Plano, DFW, Grapevine, Lewisville, North Richland Hills, etc. Yeah, it would be ideal if all three agencies were under one roof and their operations consolidated, but for now, DART, The T and the DCTA are better than nothing.

The NCTCOG has released a plan for region wide rail transit by 2030...

I think a lot of that is a bit of a pipe dream. As nice as it would be, rail to Frisco, TMS, McKinney, etc. is probably not going to happen by 2030, but I believe a lot of that will. The Cotton Belt line, the A-Train from Denton to Dallas, and I do believe in the next 21 years, Arlington will pull their heads out and we will some kind of passenger rail running through Arlington. I also don't believe that map includes the street car in Ft Worth which I think will be a huge asset.