View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 3:13 AM
More Varieties to Come

I always love seeing pictures of Johnstown. I grew up in the area and recently lived there for two years while I still worked in Pittsburgh. And I agree with Evergrey, it is a hopeless city and then add to that one of the worst crime rates.

As for the pictures:

51 - I'm so glad you got a pic of Alma Hall. One of the few buildings the withstood not only the great flood, but all of the floods in Johnstown. So many people survived in here during the flood of 1889.

79 - Although it is a fully functioning train station, a majority of the inside is just for show. You are unable to enter the main hall where benches are located to take a seat. If you are waiting for a train, you have to use the platform outside.

85 - your question 'Some art?' Yes, it is. That is located outside the Flood Museum (for those not familiar with the city, the banner in the background gives it away). If I'm not mistaken, on one of my many visits to the museum, I believe this is made out of pieces of metal found from the '77 flood and welded together. There is a piece of metal in the interior of the museum that most people walk by much like this statue. Turns out that one is an actual part of a bridge twisted by the flood waters.