View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Because no Canadian cities are located in the south west part of the US.

I refer my learned colleague to the answer previously given.
I think it is more than just that .

Canada is other country so the city planning schools may be different that just one theory I have or other theory they looked at Europe.

Canada downtown core is more mix use where has in the US this is not aways the case .In the past 10 years and very much so 8 years there is more redevelopment in the downtown area like in Toronto , Calgary ,Vancouver so on.

Other think very alien to the US is tower in park concept a 15 to 20 story apartment place in the suburbs in low density sprawl single family homes that was very popular in the 60's and 70's and was not popular in the 80's and 90's and now making a come back with highrise condos.

In the US city with more costly land value and higher desity build mix use store-fronts like this

And in the US starting in the 20's ( do to Euclidean zoning of the 20's ) and areas with lower land value or lower desity build one story store-fronts like this.

This look is very popular in the sun belt cities like in the south west and may be the Mexican architecture has some thing to do with it . Well building in Mexico are built out of clay not brink and bright colors and one story store-front is very popular .

Canada was never really into this do to we do not have the Euclidean zoning of the 20's and we are not close to Mexico and we looked more at the UK than the US.

And it could be that city planning schools are different here than the US or we looked at Europe city planners.