View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:36 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
In SLC, the only parcel assemblage close to core with any where 100 acres is the Rocky Mnt Power site on North Temple. It would be an amazing fit, but there are no doubt huge environmental issues, minor zoning issues and RMP is a massive beast that moves slowly, so I'll call it a long shot, but it would be a great piece in a "split campus". It's right on Trax and a ten minute walk from the Gateway district. The other site that could be used in a split campus would be the 2200 W. corridor by the airport as there are hundreds of acres still available and shovel-ready. In concert with one of the Granary assemblages or Church owned sites, this could be the base of a strong proposal.
Yeah the North Temple corridor isn't exactly greenfield. I keep trying to justify the 400 S Main area, but 100 acres is a lot. Getting Ken Garff, Mark Miller, and the Sears lot involved, you're up to about 50-60 acres total, but then there are a lot of parties involved, and I'm not sure the car dealerships are keen on moving. Where could they possibly move? Maybe Rio Grande area could work. UTA owns a lot of land around those parcels. I shot it down earlier but there is a lot of land to build, though not 100 acres. Would probably involve some cleanup of the parcels.

Salt Lake simply doesn't have large swaths of land that big ready to be built on. I didn't think lack of contiguous parking lots would ever be a problem for SLC. Lots of cities have them right near their urban cores. Denver has at least 100 acres right next to their downtown. Not a bad place, imo, though it would require some serious infrastructure improvements. Speer is a mess as it is. You can't direct all Amazon traffic in that direction.

Also, that is all great news Makid. Not so much the convention stuff, since there still seems to be a lot to work out, but I can't believe how low the vacancy rates are, especially with all the new apartments that have come online.