View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 31, 2012, 5:51 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I've said this before, I am a huge fan of the Saab JAS-39 Gripen. It may be a bit of an older design, but it's tried and true. Agile and quick, it's also reliable and easy to maintain, practically the polar opposite of the F-35. If it were up to me, I'd be heading to the Swedes. Not just because they've always been masters at marrying reliability and functionality, but they're also a small democracy without any ulterior motives, and they're probably more willing to provide us with technical data (for maintenance purposes) than our American or Russian friends are.
totally agree....this government would never stray from being an american lap dog, but the forward thinking action would be to engage SAAB as a joint venture development of the next generation Gripen.

a SAAB/Bombardier tandem would be a great economic driver.....bring the technology to canada as a true partnership, instead of just buying it off the shelf from the americans....it would also send a message to the world that we not a military extension of the US, aligning ourselves with more neutral armed forces.

the swedes have similar military needs...remote bases, harsh climates, smaller budgets...it could be a perfect match to get a plane tailored to our needs with the economic spin off of it being a 'canadian' design....it could be the catalyst for an entire industry.

always loved the viggen.....

Last edited by trueviking; Mar 31, 2012 at 6:02 PM.