View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2005, 1:03 PM
Witty comment fail

Downtown lofts now open

Quote:
Ten years ago, it may have been unheard of in Montgomery to renovate commercial structures built in the late 1800's and turn them into luxury apartments. Today, it's just one of many changes happening downtown.

The old gun shop built in 1904 now houses seven luxury lofts. Extensive renovation give the spaces all the amenities of a new apartment, but provides a charm you'll be pressed to find anywhere else.

Beau Daniel, Director of Operation for Foshee Builders Inc., says, "We couldn't have put anything in here that would have added more character than the original brick." Contractors even preserved the original freezer doors of ice house next door, but nostalgia isn't the only reason builders are renovating.

Daniel adds, "There are so many things the mayor has done to make downtown the place to be."

Virtually everything in downtown Montgomery is within walking distance. Biscuits baseball and restaurants like the Brew Pub are right across the street. With more public and private developments in the works, moving here is starting to make a lot of sense to people including our mayor.

Montgomery Mayor, Bobby Bright, says, "I've already inquired about purchasing one of them. If I could, I would come over here at lunch and lay back and sleep and wouldn't have to be on the road burning that expensive gas going back and forth to home." Still not sold on the idea? Peter Epton and his fiancee, Nina, just moved into a loft last month and for them the location and space is ideal.

Epton says, "The lyncher for us was the bathroom because in Japan, where we were living, we had a shower room, a large space where we can move around and we like the freedom of the shower head."

Lofts range in price from $1,000 to $2,500 a month, but builders and residents alike say what you get in return is worth it.

Commercial spaces are also available on the first floors of the renovated structures. The building WSFA 12 News reporter, Theo Travers, toured with Mayor Bright will be ready for tenants as early as next week.
Nice... maybe this will lead to more downtown living...