View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
To clarify, I'm not saying that 1WTC is iconic only because of its history. That is definitely part of it; but remember, 1WTC is the new tallest building the US, which has to count for something, right? Also, its location makes it a very prominent building anytime the NYC skyline is shown from the NY harbor.

I guess you can argue that 1WTC is recognizable by the masses, but has not achieved iconic status, at least not yet. I'd definitely agree that it's not on the same level as the ESB or the Twin Towers.
That's the thing though... it's really not the new tallest building in the US... never was.

Aside from the rather unispired design, that's another reason it received a lukewarm response... its lack of tallest-building-achieving height. Plopping a TV antenna atop and calling it a spire to "officially" reach 1776 ft. was an exercise in embarrassing and melodramatic generosity.

And I would argue that the new 1WTC is not recognizable by the masses. i think you give the building and the masses too much credit.