View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2012, 11:18 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I should clarify my comments re the CP lands a bit I think. Now that there is no stadium and the development will just be regular infill (residential, commercial, some entertainment, etc), I just think we should be worrying about attracting some of these things to the core of downtown and eventually working outward, rather than spurring development at the edges.
This is a real opportunity to unite the core of the city - the downtown and the WD. This is a chance to inject new life and attract real investment into the heart. One of the best ways to do is by having the public sector commit finances and resources to realizing that revitalization.

I understand your point about detracting away from what is "downtown" but on the contrary I see it as the opposite. Showing a commitment to downtown revitalization by opening these lands up for both public and private investment will show private investors that you are serious about intensification. This will attract investment beyond the CP yard.

You can create so many plans for downtown revitalization, but unless the public sector commits resources and is a partner in development, likely your plan will remain on paper. Through the City Square project it was hoped that investment will follow - maybe it will, but as much as that was about creating a great public space, it was also about showing the private sector that the City is taking a key role in downtown revitalization by pursuing their own projects.

Development in the WD has been basically non-existant. I have no doubt that the CP development is going to spur redevelopment north of Dewdney. We need something like this to generate excitement and interest in inner-city redevelopment.

This is an exciting day for the city - and as far as I'm concerned this was the best option to go with.