View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 9:45 PM
Meh

West Gate and William Cannon give me the creeps as a cyclist or pedestrian. I pretty much never ride along those streets and try to find an alternate route instead. Way down West Gate it's a nice place to ride for recreation, but I don't ride strictly for recreation. Neither of those have bike lanes in those areas. West Gate does along the new section way down south, but there's so little traffic down there it doesn't matter much. William Cannon doesn't have bike lanes either from I-35 to Mopac. There are bike lanes on it west of Mopac headed towards Oak Hill. South First doesn't have bike lanes either, and one of our grocery stores is on it. When I ride my bike over there, I have to ride on the sidewalk, which I hate doing. And it's difficult when there are pedestrians since it's only about 3 feet wide. And of course there are none on Manchaca either, which is less of an issue because the sidewalks between William Cannon and Stassney on Manchaca are about 8 feet wide.

Meanwhile, they have widened the bike lanes on Stassney, at least putting down a double stripe to create a barrier. Same on Emerald Forrest, and they even put them way out from the curb since parked cars were making it hazardous to ride on that street, especially north of Stassney where it's all down hill.