HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 9:34 AM

Now I'm really confused myself, I had always thought those stairs ended up in the second tunnel, but if you can't see them from the bottom where do they end up?

I'm guessing if the second tunnel is for future active use, it must end up somewhere between the two tunnels, which makes sense if it would eventually allow a fully fare controlled station, at which point they would just be normal stairs

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post

LRTeverywhere, I presume that you mean a full cycling/rollerblade carrying through to the possible future transitmall thing that's in the plan for the new development where the theatre is?

That would certain explain the width of the tunnel. It would need more or less continued and protected lanes to Cahill for it to really make sense though. Having South Keys station as a fare paid zone definitely makes sense as well.

I think I see the picture a little more clearly now. Thank you.
Yep, plans for protected lanes on Cahill and accross bank are in the works now, will probably be installed long before we ever install the second half of the tunnel under the transitway.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:16 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Alright... since we must keep everything here a spicy meatball...

Outside of the tunnel with full cage and door.

Inside of the tunnel with not much more than a utility cabinet.

So.. it seems to me.. that in between the two tunnels is perhaps a hallway? I almost wish I measured the gap between the two.

You can see a double door here. There is only a single door on the current normal usage side. So I suppose the stairwell in the aforementioned video feeds in between the two tunnels and you would exit through the double doors seen here... and the chain link fencing stuff would be removed when the station opens.

This is the best summary I can figure. I still don't know how a stairwell cutting perpendicular to this tunnel makes sense though. Maybe the gap between the two tunnels is enough so it fits. I'll have to check that next.

Isn't it fun to speculate?

Also.. persistent puddles. Always. Also.. hand railings, cameras, lighting etc.. simple block wall at the end. Having this ready to active transportation sometime 20 years from now ads up big time.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 1:12 AM

Looks like the city has begun the work to figure out how to connect Dow's lake station to the TOH

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...c-0a36f6ca9e8e

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
Looks like the city has begun the work to figure out how to connect Dow's lake station to the TOH

Very important project. Province better provide funding for this at least. I am afraid of yet another major shut down for construction.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:52 PM

Quote:

And not a moment too soon!

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:22 PM

Quote:

If only the Trilium Line had recently been shut down for several years, that would have presented an excellent opportunity to potentially reconfigure the station to accomplish this objective.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Very important project. Province better provide funding for this at least. I am afraid of yet another major shut down for construction.
I believe part of the agreement for the approval of the hospital was that the hospital fund what ever the EA determines is the best solution.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
If only the Trilium Line had recently been shut down for several years, that would have presented an excellent opportunity to potentially reconfigure the station to accomplish this objective.

Notice that "bridge" is a possible option. My guess is that's what they will do, even though it's likely the least convenient connection

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:03 PM

Dows lake station was such an afterthought station to begin with, and the 'upgrades' haven't been that spectacular. If they have just had the wherewithal to centre the station under Carling, you'd have 1. A free roof. 2. Access to the garage vertical transportation system (see: Elevator and stairs). 3. Public access from the north side of Carling, as any normal station would.

The fact that nobody can coordinate with eachother because it's too hard is an understatement.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:56 PM
Busy Beaver

I think if they treated this the same way they've been doing rapid bridge replacement on the Queensway it would be possible to do it without shutting the line for a lengthy period.

1) Close down half of Carling, squeeze traffic on the other half.
2) Dig trenches on either side parallel to the tracks to build support piles spaced farther apart.
3) Prefabricate the bridge spans in the adjacent parking lot.
4) Shut the train service, quickly remove old bridge span and dig a wider trench between the new supports over several days/weeks, then move and lower the new spans in place.
5) Resume train service and rinse and repeat on the other half of Carling.

If the spans are wide enough to accommodate a centre platform station, building the rest after should be pretty straightforward.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation